Friday, June 5, 2009

Mom Report Day 19

My sister Jenise told me mom was up and walking (with the physical therapist) twice yesterday; was out of bed and sitting in the recliner when I called; and is being given soft foods 6 times per day as the amount she is receiving from the feeding tube has been decreased by 60%.

Also one of the drains from her abdomen has been removed. All good sings as mom continues to make slow progress.

My mom and dad desire the next step to be a short stint at a rehab facility. With all the tubes and limited mobility a few days to transition would be good. Apparently the insurance company denied the request but my dad is pursuing other options.

This would be great for my mom and dad, and also for my sister. She has pulled about 2/3 of the night shifts at the hospital with mom, and it is wearing her out. I encouraged her to help speed the transition by telling mom she can't do it any more and so it is take the next step or be their alone at night. Jenise, however, just can't do that. She said, this is the only thing mom asked; how can I say no?

Out of the trials of life a simple command like honor your father and mother is lived out.

No comments: